Sunday, August 26, 2012

Review of last night's Tightlights show at Billiamsburg Underwater Glass Museum Soundspace

[Many loyal readers will know that I have in the past criticized other music bloggers for being too self-indulgent in their reviews. With that being said, everyone's musical tastes and experiences are subjective and inextricably linked with our own personal lives. So allow me to be a hypocritical just for a brief moment]

I'll never forget the day when I , just 14 years old, walked to my local music store and purchased Tightlight's debut mp3. To be completely honest, I didn't know as much then about music as I do now. I'll never forget walking home, putting the mp3 in my mp3 player, and putting on my headphones while my mom cooked dinner. In many ways, it was my first really real musical listening experience and the beginning of a journey and life that defined much of my life to come. I'll never forget the first 45 seconds of the mp3 - descriptions of "girls in girl-shaped dresses / walking down the marinade" was strangely beautiful to my 14 year old ears. It was like the world exploded into my worldview, and the process extended into all areas of my life.

That summer, I burned a copy of the mp3 for my first girlfriend, Sarah Millow. We used to sit on the back of my mom's porch and...


continue to talk about self, end with "unfortunately I was never able to really work things out with my old man"

No comments:

Post a Comment